Tuesday, July 23, 2024

"Dinner with Mephistopheles (A Shakespearean Sonnet)" from "I Have Known Love" by Devi Nina Bingham

 



Dinner with Mephistopheles (A Shakespearean Sonnet) 


The way you held your glass to toast the night

as if you owned the rowdy, scarlet saloon

with eyes that glittered in the creamy candlelight

my words were flummoxed under the weighted moon.

 

With cottony words you had set the mood

my arms did ache to lay me down

and hold you fast in your quietude

in passion's haste I yearned to drown.

 

The apple that bore the tempting of Eve

a single bite left her wanting more.

I'd rather partake in Eden's make-believe

than find me on a passionless shore.

 

I had dinner with Mephistopheles

and lost my soul at one hundred degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment