Thursday, June 13, 2024

"Slave Girl's Prayer" from the book, "Birthright: Poems for the Journey" by Devi Nina Bingham

 



Slave Girl's Prayer

I barely hear the tiger roar

and hear the squeal of a wild boar

when my heart begins to pound

as I race across African ground

flying swiftly without a sound

until I have been safely found.

 

A slave girl of a day gone by,

dreamed I was she, and fireflies

glowing green in the African sky

as mama chides, "Child, you shall die

if you run off, well, it is goodbye.

Now, get you some shut eye tonight."


Laid I real still and thought about

the hungry mister in the house

who stalks me as a tiger does

when I'm alone I always knows

he comes. And when he starts to doze

I run into the night that glows.

 

It is free beneath the genteel sky

where I can breathe and God's big eye

watches over me and maybe I

will be a stately lady

but for the mister callin me.

 

Striped tigers are everywhere

only place they aint is my nightmares.

How can a rose grow straight and fair

when it is held too much, and it has no air?

That is when I make my prayer

Father, please help, if you are up there.

 

And then one day out of the blue

mister says he is gotta let us loose,

we earned our peace, especially me

as if he is handing us the golden key

and we walk free. Yes, we walk free

not fearing the tigers in the trees.

Click here: www.amazon.com/author/ninabingham 


No comments:

Post a Comment