Tuesday, September 8, 2026

House of the Rising Sun (Sestina Poem) by Devi Nina Bingham



My restless heart passed the time

waiting for the rising sun.

On it trudged, from night to day,

elusive was this mystery called love.

Holding my breath while others called it life,

wanting to feel a warmth within.


Denied was my longing for comfort within

like a rose crushed beneath cruel time.

I offered what was too fragile for life

and was burned by the cross and impatient sun. 

Still I persisted, pressing closer to love,

living to breathe the precious light of day.


Love ran away as I reached for the day,

and night became the frigid blanket within.

I forgot the graceful face of love

buried by the heavy hand of time.

Won't you break open my sorrow with the sun

and wash me in the glad tide of life?


Until your improbable face brought new life,

until you turned despair to day,

until the sky opened and revealed a kinder sun,

until you made a home within,

I only mistrusted time,

I only scoffed at love.


Now the miracle of love

has carried me to the fount of life

that springs eternal, beyond time

where the dark of night bows to the day.

I will meet you where joy dances within

in the house of the rising sun.


Meet me, won't you, beneath that sun

for when youth and beauty have forsaken love

I will not forsake promises spoken within

given when youth still decorated life.

Should darkest night eclipse the brightest day

I will not forget how you saved me from unforgiving time.


O, that I could give you all my time. 

I will never leave you, one day.

And we will rest forever in the tender arms of life. 









No comments:

Post a Comment