Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Life Lessons From A Kayak: I Am Part of Something Bigger

Direct contact with nature is one of the easiest ways to be reminded that there is a bigger and more powerful Force working "behind the scenes." It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the Infinite cannot possibly relate to our human issues. But when I am cruising on a lake in my kayak, where both serenity and excitement reign, I am reminded that I am a part of nature. I am not forgotten; I am as important to this world as the Eagle I just watched dip gracefully in front of me to snatch a fish from the water. I am as important as the fish leaping crazily out of the water in front of my boat. I am as important as the Blue Herons sunning on the river logs; the one I named "Cool," who allows me to get close now, and who eyes me wisely as I drift quietly past him. I am as important as the body of water supporting me, which issues it's soothing, relaxing message: you are less body and more water, you are liquid just like me.The hawks above circle and screech to me below; perhaps to them I am a failed attempt at lunch. Or maybe they are just saying, "Welcome to our world." Then I realize it isn't their world, this land of water, sun, wind, and wildlife...we share it, we are all hunters; we are all trying to survive, and to glean a little piece of happiness from the day.

Today's life lesson from a kayak: I am part of nature, not separate from it. I find I am closer to God than I thought...I am part of something bigger than my own small thinking about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment