Friday, April 1, 2011

Managing Anger: Questions to Understand Our Anger

  •  QUESTIONS TO UNDERSTAND OUR ANGER:
  • What specifically am I angry about-what circumstance?
  • What factors contributed to this state of mind?
  • What other feelings do I have? 
    • Am I feeling rejected?
    • Hurt? 
    • Shocked? 
    • Threatened? 
    • Afraid of change or of losing something? 
    • Feeling vulnerable? 
    • Bewildered? 
    • Guilty? 
    • Insulted? 
    • Harassed? 
    • Manipulated?
  • What did I originally expect in the situation?
  • Did I check to see if my impressions are correct? 
    • What is the proof?
    • How else could this info. be interpreted?
    • And how else?
·                            *Am I overreacting or blowing things out of proportion? 
              * Who am I really angry at? Myself? Others?
  • Am I venting my anger at someone other than the true source of my frustration?
  • Am I overlooking the good aspects of my relationship with this person?
  • Is the event really less important than I first thought?
  • Am I blaming someone for the anger I responded with?
  • Did the person I am angry at intentionally hurt me?
  • Could a cultural difference, such as: lifestyles, values, opinions, or upbringing play a part in this conflict?
  • How do the other people involved in this situation probably feel? 
·                        *How else could they possibly feel?
  • Am I being selfish and forgetting the needs and desires of other people?
  • How can I best bring about the changes I need?
  • Do I need to learn to accept a situation that won't change?
  • What would I say to a friend in this situation if I were trying to help?
  • What would a counselor trying to help probably say to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment