Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Badasses' Guide to Kali-FREE POETRY by Devi Nina Bingham



Finish Me

Caught in your sticky grasp like a bird in a thicket

you severed my heart from attachments I once knew

and with your lolling, red tongue you did lick it.


I welcomed your wrath against my foes

until you turned the swift blade too close to home

when you and I came to warring blows.


"I want my way," said my stubborn will. 

"I am grown up now, so I will decide!"

Then I strayed from love until I'd had my fill.


In a darkness beyond dark, in a profound and utter void

I was adrift at sea, as lonely as it was wide.

And I lifted my face to Heaven and cried:


"Without Thee, oh fiercesome warrior of old,

I have no anchor; I am wandering.

Return! Return will I to the fold.


And if you cut my pride, I shall surely bleed.

Better this than the life of a fool.

Come again at lightning speed,

and bring the sword that will finish me.

 

Mother Kali

Voo-doo

who-do

You-do

deserve it!


Say the magic words

to cast an ancient spell

feather of a mockingbird

and a rusty metal nail.


Some say she's a nerd,

some say she's from hell.

It depends on what you've heard-

others say that she's in jail.


The Hindus of old

worshiped Mother Kali

the Goddess of fright

can even make you feel jolly.


She wears her enemy's skulls

the foolhearted's folly

with her tongue she will bite,

pins and needles stab the dolly. 


Mother Kali, Mother Kali,

wielding her sword 

defiantly naked 

as cups of blood pour.


Run as fast as your legs can flee

yet to me, your devoted child

you are my consolation,

my protector run wild. 


Voo-doo

who-do

You-do

deserve it!


Mother Made of Lightning

My mother came to visit me in the night

silent and mysterious, She made me gasp.

The opposite of darkness, She is electric white light

fortunate for me She did not bring her asp.


Untouchable and terrible to those who mean you harm,

unpredictable, yet awesome if She is on your side.

To me she is a friend, though She always brings alarm.

She cannot be blamed if your circuits wind up fried.


A mother made of lightning, a bolt of beautiful death

makes sure that I'm protected

 until my very last breath. 


Snake Eyes

Snakes, snakes everywhere

around your waist

and in your hair

Goddesses are supposed to be

not warriors that growl and glare.


Your secret I have come to know

that God has made some women mean

who hunt down lies with arrows and a bow

but protect pure and trusting souls.


The leopard covering your skin

shows that you hunt in silent stealth.

The severed arms that reach your shins

and a garland of skulls where pearls should have been.


And the blood—oh, the gore!

Dripping from your gaping mouth,

a lolling tongue that asks for more,

it is demon's blood that you adore.


Why should I bow down in praise

and call you "Ma" like children do

when you leave me in a daze?

Because you lead me through life's crazy maze.


Not a Goddess for the weak, but the brave

who makes me say, "I can!" again and again. 

Your mission is always to save

so I do not care if you misbehave.


Dancing in the graveyard—that is Ma Kali

overflowing with electric vibe,

lightning and thunder are her folly.

You make me feel so alive

with your all-seeing snake eyes. 


Surrender (Haiku)

Goddess Kali loves like a mother:

thin on indulgence and thick on transforming power.

Just surrender—a mother is for life.


The Grim Reaper

She was the merciful mirror I needed

A mother made of highly polished metal

While most mothers are putting on the kettle

Kali Maa is setting me free

Not allowing me to settle.


She believes I deserve happiness and health

Divine success at lightening speed.

Unafraid to let me bleed,

She crushes my pride, a different kind of wealth. 

The Grim Reaper is She.


She eats egos while building self-esteem.

Her reflection is just and picture-perfect.

While it is hard to look at my defects,

She is polishing me so that I gleam.

Death is my architect.


So that new life can take root, flourish and grow

Self-deception must be taken away.

My heart is lighter since death came to stay.

My mother is terrible and wonderful, and I've got a new glow-

because that's how Kali Maa rolls. 


The Mother Made of Fire

I misunderstood the essence of you

Goddess Kali, who haunts cremation grounds

where the dead live and the living go to die

victorious over death!

You are mistress of the darkness

because you own it

and master of time because you made it.

Ever fearless in the face of threat

dancing in a frenzy atop a pile of bones

smearing the ash of strangers upon your black body

your maya entranced and fooled me,

making me shy to come closer.


A mother made of fire and fury

eating the souls of demons

drinking their blue blood and laughing.

Your liberating protection is only given

once your children have charred their egos

in the blaze of your obstinate and sure embrace.


Ma Kali, 

once I surrendered my will

you arrived unbidden upon my doorstep

in all your eternal and cosmic glory.

Jai Ma Kali-

eternal victor

fiercely gracious,

my shadow

ever swooning me in your embrace,

please stay.


Unless She Grabs You

Who can know a warrior

an eternal, undefeatable foe?

The male ego forces its way

while your laugh bends steel,

and melts my defences

with a single glance. 


Entranced, wanting to be closer to Ka-li,

I crawl to Her feet.

She magnetizes and protects all sincere seekers.

You are the blood that courses through my veins,

the binder, and the releaser. 

Taking me beyond ancient myths,

the living, pulsating Light 

leads me to the highest peak. 


Few of your children will knock; 

only the brave, crazy ones 

who love your wild laugh and unbound hair

will scale the edge of sanity,

scrambling through the briar to find the graveyard

in which you expectantly wait, fierce and silent,

asking in a shaky voice,

"Are you my mother?"


You are a lightning strike, a live wire. 

When I approach, I must remember 

that this goddess is especially dreadful.

Do not take hold of Her unless She grabs you. 


So protective and possessive

that nobody can get within a thousand miles of me

unless She wills it.

She is that BIG--

and I am safe, held tightly

in all six of Her weapon-clad, skull-adorned arms. 




No comments:

Post a Comment