Friday, August 21, 2026

Finish Me by Devi Nina Bingham


Caught in your sticky grasp like a bird in a thicket

you severed my heart from attachments I once knew

and with your lolling, red tongue did you lick it.


I welcomed your wrath against my foes

until you turned the swift blade too close to home

when you and I came to warring blows.


"I want my way," said my stubborn will. 

"I am grown up now, so I will decide!"

Then I strayed from love until I'd had my fill.


In a darkness beyond dark, in a profound and utter void

I was adrift at sea, as lonely as it was wide.

I lifted my face to Heaven as I cried:


"Without Thee, oh fiercesome warrior of old,

I have no anchor; I am wandering.

Return! Return I will to the fold.


And if you cut my pride, I shall surely bleed.

Better this than the life of a fool.

Come again at lightning speed,

and bring the sword that will finish me.



No comments:

Post a Comment