Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Stitches and Scars-A Poem by Devi Nina Bingham



Angry stitches show something is missing

tender scars testify to how I have lived.

Ugly are they, and battle-tested

torn before they can close up again.


Will the wound of my heart keep tearing

when I think back to what has been?

One day to look at it without aching;

no greater relief than to be on the mend.


Will I always weep, will I always suffer

a stubborn heart that insists on its way?

Yet, when I am asked, it would play the big bluffer

and tell you my sorrow is miles away.


For to look is to thrill, to smile, and remember,

and not to look is to forsake my dear heart.

And though Autumn's leaves fall at the start of September,

when Winter's grip tightens, it's time to depart.


What is a heart but stitches and scars

that shows something missing,

yet, keeps us apart.




No comments:

Post a Comment