Saturday, July 29, 2023

Western Montage-Poems by Devi Nina Bingham

 

CALAMITY JANE:

I fight, and sometimes spit

I drink in a saloon

Don’t laugh at my big cowboy hat

or you'll sing a dead man’s tune.

 

Sometimes I wish that I

was born a different name

like Bill Hancock,

or Billy the Kid,

but I was born Calamity Jane.


JOHN WAYNE:

I watch my Westerns carefully

to see the cowboys riding high

Don’t mind when I say, “How-a-dee!”

Or lasso you as you walk by.

 

Let’s saddle up and ride the range

before our grub can get too cold

Perhaps we’ll meet The Duke, John Wayne

but that would make him much too old.


WESTERNS:

Westerns are a faithful friend

Though they’ll hang you from a tree

True-blue to the very end

Like the calvary would be.

 

TV always gives to me

memories I do not wish to see

Natives living peacefully,

as white men shoot to disagree.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment