Sunday, November 26, 2023

My Teaching Reflection: Applying the Teaching Philosophy of Constructivism

In the classroom, my goal will be to encourage young adults as they explore and experiment with new forms of expression in a friendly, safe setting. Constructivist teaching methods are a perfect fit for achieving that goal. I say this because, particularly when it comes to my own writing, I like to think "outside the box," and Constructivism allows me to do just that. Constructivism is best summarized by the following definition: "The progressivist teaching philosophy is a student-oriented approach that takes individuality into account and links it to active learning. According to Constructivism, the best learning circumstances occur when the subject matter is applicable to the learner's life and talents.” Additionally, this method stresses interaction, teamwork, and respect for other people's opinions as crucial components of learning (www.indeed.com, 2023).

Adults learn best by doing, not by hearing, according to a statement I heard. Constructivism encourages students to put to use what they are learning in ways that are personally meaningful in the actual world. "Learning by doing is a teaching strategy that employs interesting learning exercises that are customized to the requirements and interests of the students. Like this, Learning by Doing teachers encourage pupils to learn through piquing their curiosity” (ResearchGate, 2020). I am a Linguistic leaner, which means that reading and writing are the ways that I learn best. Even though I naturally learn in such a manner, I have found that when material is pertinent to my own life, not only am I more interested in it but also, I am more invested in the result, and more engaged as well. I believe that direct participation in the learning process is when students will gain the most.

As an illustration, we were requested to make Concept Maps in several of my classes at Tiffin University. We were given a topic but oversaw the project's layout and aesthetics. I was anxious and excited at the same time because this was my first time creating one. The process of making my first Concept Map was so much fun! I gave the project a lot of focused consideration and hours of experimentation with various visuals. Why was this lesson so interesting to me? Mostly due to the novelty. I was learning in an unusual way since it allowed me to move beyond the "box" of the Linguistic learner. I was studying differently. Even though universities encourage Linguistic learning, we must remember that not all students learn well in this manner. Instead of reading, writing, or listening to a teacher, many students prefer to learn by doing—by applying what they have learned.

Creating a Concept Map allowed me to express myself more freely and creatively. Instead of forcing me to adopt a predetermined form, it gave me options. For instance, if I wanted to, I could use amusing visuals. Most essential is that I held the knowledge longer because I had applied it. Then, I had to use the Map to teach my classmates about the topic, which required that I fully understand the main ideas.

Constructivism's ability to be utilized to motivate students to collaborate in groups is another crucial aspect of this teaching philosophy. When students in a class are having trouble getting along with one another, a project that divides them into groups might help them work together to achieve a shared objective. This may rekindle student enthusiasm in their courses and foster more positive interaction between them.

Instead of using a passive method where material is grasped only through listening, Constructivism takes a "hands-on" strategy that involves direct learning experiences. Everyone has a voice in Constructivism, and everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions to the group. If there are students who are conventional learners, this strategy will push them to "get out of their comfort zones" and to discover new abilities and modes of expression, like the Concept Map did for me. Students are expected to use both their critical thinking and social abilities in this instructional method. Because it requires student groups to cooperate, it is democratic in character. It helps students to appreciate and consider other's views.

In the classroom, the instructor performs the dual duties of activity facilitator and mentor. The teacher asks questions rather than provides answers. When a student asks for a solution, for instance, if I am applying Constructivism, I could throw it back to the group and say, "Instead of telling you the answer, I'd like the group to brainstorm and come up with a few different ways you could solve this." As the teacher, I do not want to foster a dependence on me for answers. Students should be encouraged that they can solve the problem if they rely on one another, themselves, and the resources on hand. In-class problem-solving is important because it builds confidence in their own abilities, and it teaches them to bring problems forward and not to conceal problems.

Students will receive the same grade if the group follows the instructions and completes the work, except if a student does not participate in which case their mark would be lower. To ascertain the level at which people are functioning, I do think testing is crucial. Tests should be given frequently enough to gain a general idea of students' knowledge and abilities, but not too frequently to discourage or cause concern. In high school, I had a teacher who made us take exams at the end of every week. While this was good for the instructor, a large portion of the students who were in his class dropped out because of the excessive number of examinations.

The frequent assignment of research papers and explanatory essays is also an effective way to gauge student understanding and English language competence. In the Constructivist method, it is recommended to give students as much freedom as possible in their subject selection rather than assigning the topic. As they say, "Different strokes for different folks." The learner will spend more time investigating and will have a deeper grasp if they get to pick the topic or choose from a list of ideas. Additionally, a class with a variety of subjects will be more engaging for everybody.

As a lifelong learner, I have found that every class has a small group of top performers—what I like to refer to as the top 20%—who get the best grades, submit their assignments and comments first, and lead much of the thoughtful conversation. A Constructivism strategy pushes the remaining 80% to participate more regularly and directly and could be what they need to get fired up about the assignments.

I authored a book and study guide that is used by my podcast study group. Naturally, since I wrote the content, I am aware of the answers. But I think learning should not be passive. As a result, after fully describing the topic we are studying, I pause and solicit my cohost's perspective. By giving the audience another viewpoint, the audience is more likely to phone in and contribute their own perspectives. When callers ask for my opinion, I offer it, but I also ping-pong it back and solicit their feedback. Instead of a lecture and a single point of view, I want my podcast to be a lively debate and discussion. My vision for the classroom is the same: a safe space where learners feel free to express themselves and take chances, as well as a social setting where they may practice tolerance and respect for different points of view and cultures. 

Constructivism is in harmony with my vision of what a classroom ought to be: intellectually fascinating, a secure environment for expressing curiosity and taking risks, and a working environment where many ideas and viewpoints may be voiced without concern. I want learners to become their own teachers in my classroom. In essence, to do as much as I can to work myself out of a job. 

                                                    

                                       References

 

Sameer Abuzanda. Learning By Doing. ResearchGate, 2020.

(PDF) LEARNING BY DOING (researchgate.net)

 

Indeed Editorial Team. 12 Common Teaching Philosophies (With Definitions). 2023.

12 Common Teaching Philosophies (With Definitions) | Indeed.com


No comments:

Post a Comment