Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Endeavoring To Walk With Your Heart Wide Open

If you are a true writer, and by definition I mean, if you can't help but write (because if you didn't it would probably come spewing out of your ears) then you'll know what I'm talking about when I say I'm getting that peculiar writing "itch" that begins in the subconscious and works its way up to the different lobes of my brain, finding its way out the end of my pen. I guess you could say my brain is itching. But until the mysterious subconscious is ready to reveal it's secrets, I endure an itchy brain. That's how I know something big is brewing down in the subconscious basement. The most inspired and creative writing occurs the same way that throwing-up does: thoughts become so thick that they come up all by themselves and I'm the unwitting conduit for truth that is much deeper than my own understanding. Legend has it that Mozart described composing as if he were simply taking dictation. I relate to that. This state of fixed concentration has been described by Psychologists as, "flow," or "being in the flow." Some days I am so engrossed, so "taken over" that it is night before I look around and notice: the sun went down and I am still in my pajamas. Canned vegetables for dinner and laundry piled to the ceiling until I finish my next sonata. You can't help but be dazzled and worn out by the euphoria of a writer's life.

I've noticed that you can't write anything you haven't first lived. Oh yes, I've tried it...all writers are guilty of dispensing advice they themselves couldn't take. Those writings are usually less interesting and pale by comparison, because though they may contain truth, the passion is lacking. Writing and passion are synonymous; two sides of one coin. Passion is the only prerequisite for creativity; you cannot create anything without it. These days I spend a lot of time with my passion of writing; I've spent so much time with her that I cannot imagine what life would be without her. Writing is my mistress. I am in a fierce love-affair with writing; fortunate indeed am I to spend my days entwined with what I love.

A friend and I were discussing loving with your heart wide open and she replied with a knitted brow: "Is that even possible in this world? I don't know about that." I chuckled knowingly because I've felt that way...sure would be nice if it worked that way, but not very likely. And yet, I know it is possible to live fully opened to life, because I've experienced it. I've felt my heart wide open, tingling with aliveness, a euphoric Life Force surging through my veins. It feels like...home. Like coming home to yourself after you've been out of touch, disharmonious. It feels genuine, it feels true, and it feels incredibly tender, almost so tender that it hurts.

We've all experienced moments, even if they were only glimpses, when we saw ourselves differently. What you saw wasn't grand, but it wasn't inconsequential, either. It was simply who you really are. Who you really are has nothing to do with your mind and everything to do with your connection to Spirit. Once that connection has been severed because of anger, doubt or fear, you'll feel all alone again. You aren't really, but that's the experience you'll have. Living with your heart wide open is more than a lovely concept; it's a possibility. In order to sustain it day-to-day, it has to become a way of life. I am endeavoring to walk with my heart wide open. And though it's not easy, it's so much better than the alternative. Won't you walk with me awhile?

To see all of Devi Nina's books: http://www.amazon.com/Nina-Bingham/e/B008XEX2Z0










2 comments:

  1. Awesome piece Nina! Nothing for me to add except that I'm right there with you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is where to write this but I just read your letter you wrote to your daughter. It helped me immensely. Thank you
    I will buy your books so I can read more.
    With love

    ReplyDelete